Monday, October 19, 2009

Airplane Conversation

(Photo- Taken from airplane)

My airplane seat-mate glanced out the window and said to me - “Doesn’t it feel better to say that the physical elements and atmospheic pressures are all completely in line to make that picture, as opposed to just saying God did it?”

I replied to him – “Isn’t it amazing that God created those physical properties to do that so perfectly?”


So, on Friday morning, after nearly 27 hours of travel back from Asia, I sat down on the last plane of my journey, Dallas to Philadelphia. Before I knew it, I was in a discussion with the guy sitting next to me about the meaning of life and the world we live in. Me being someone who believes in creation and believes in God, and him being someone who believes in evolution and doesn’t believe in God, it made for an interesting conversation.

After he asked me what I did for a living, he asked me: “So, why would you want to take a western idea into a culture where they already have a belief system and are content with their lives the way they are?”

I said, “What I believe has so affected my own life, I can’t help but want to share it with others. It breaks my heart to think that there are people who have never heard of the God who has given me a peace and purpose in life. I want only that they have the opportunity to hear of it. If they want to embrace or want to dismiss it, I am not in control of that. But, they should have the chance to hear…”

He shared about his line of work, and the many children and people he has helped medically in various countries. He is indeed helping people who need it, and I’m grateful for his service.

At one point, my new friend challenged me to try to believe for a second that there wasn’t a God. The thought actually scared me, and I told him that I couldn’t do it. It would be horrible to think of the world without God, and in spite of how bad the world may be, it just wasn’t possible for me to consider that God isn’t real!

We did talk for a long time about why bad things happen in the world, and whether or not there is life after death. We talked about faith and what it is that people have to live for. The conversation ended with him firmly in his position and me firmly in mine, but in agreement to become friends on facebook!

Whether he realizes he did this or not, I’m thankful that my new friend challenged me once again to consider how real God is and how thankful I am that He exists and cares for me on a daily, and very detailed basis.

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...