Monday, April 9, 2012

Sitting with Lilly

Tonight at ESL class, I worked one-on-one with a woman from Morocco who speaks Arabic!  I'll call her "Lilly."  I greeted her with a typical Islamic greeting that I picked up somewhere, and has come in handy quite often.  Her eyes lit up and she realized I was speaking her language... but I had to disappoint her when I explained that was pretty much all I knew.

Lilly knows very little English, so we worked together outside of the regular class to focus specifically on some basic vocabulary.  She has a lot to learn, but she is eager and definitely making progress.

Meeting Lilly tonight reminded me of my many Middle Eastern friends I have met over the past few years and made me wonder what they are up to now.  Teaching Lilly reminded me of the intense satisfaction and thrill I get out of watching someone learn.  Listening to Lilly imitate my sounds, and mimic the shape of my mouth, and then actually produce a very similar sentence as me was incredible.  Spending time with Lilly and even taking a minute or two to learn some Arabic phrases reminded me of life overseas, and language learning days.  Being with Lilly made me want to ask her if I could come visit her at her home this week.  Talking with Lilly gave me a face-to-face interaction with another culture, language and religion- one that is pretty far away from my own.

Sitting with Lilly tonight was the highlight of my day.

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...