Sunday, August 17, 2014

Redeeming.

Here is a bit more processing from our trip this summer (as mentioned in a previous blog post).

For me, our Wycliffe Discovery trip to S. Asia this summer was redeeming.

Initially, I had some slight personal hesitations about returning to S. Asia.  The last time I was in South Asia to lead training (2011), I more or less was in the midst of burn-out.  I wasn't sure how my mind and heart would react upon returning - even if my role was different this time.

I wondered if the the realities of the oppressive environment, the constant people, and the unending work, would spiral me downwards as they had before.

I was surprised when, upon arriving, I began to feel alive, like a new world had been discovered!  A whole new world through the eyes of the the Discovery team!

Yes, the environment took it's toll on my physical body - manifesting itself in constant back pain, face break-outs and awkward stomach pain at random points along the way.  Yes, the people - both on the team and in the local area - did overwhelm me at times.  And, yes, the work of a team leader was endless.

But instead of sending me to withdraw, these potential stressful parts of the trip awakened an energy inside of me that had been dormant for a while.

From the moment we picked up the team members at the airport that first day, the whole of South Asia began to be redeemed for me.

"I can't believe we are really here!!"
"The people here are so friendly!"
"I love the food!"
"I just fit in here."
"Today was hard, but I never felt like God was with me as much as I did today."


Hearing their initial responses and watching their facial expressions, ignited a former passion of mine for reaching foreign places and remembering forgotten people.


As the trip went on, God reminded me of the unwavering zeal He put in my life to live in South Asia 10 years ago.  He reminded me of the joy He gave me in the presence of His people from other cultures and languages.  He reminded me of the promise I was privileged to carry to villagers who had not yet heard.  He reminded me of the prayers that many prayed while I was there.

Throughout the trip this summer, my identity as a South Asian worker which had previously been lost in the shuffle of worry and doubt was gently restored to one of faith and peace.  What an unexpected gift.

"And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together…In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross."  ~ Colossians 1:17, 19-20


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so blessed by you and your husband. Though we have never met, I was able to connect with all of you on the translation/language missions work your team were involved in (including our daughter Liz H.); to raise you all up in prayer every day. Thank you for posting pics and a little bit of a summary. We are still praying for all of you as I know your hearts were again touched by all this. THE LORD IS GOOD. Because we are HIS, love Mama H. (Liz's H. Mama)

Elizabeth said...

Thank you Mrs. H!! I am so glad you could join in our trip via Facebook, and can join in our life through reading my blog updates! I appreciate you reading and sharing!

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...