Tuesday, January 20, 2015

"Every day is good"

December 23, 2014:
Jason's grandmother (dad's mom), Meme
This past month, Jason and I have been privileged to visit with his Grandmother, Meme, on two occasions.

Yesterday, we had the day off work, so we drove an hour and a half to the coast to visit with Meme.

Jason's parents said that her spirits have been downcast lately.

I don't know if it was our presence (Jason's parents seemed to think so), but Meme couldn't have been happier to see us and happier to be alive.

She used a large portion of strength to prop herself up on her bed, as soon as she saw us.

Dec 23, 2014: Visiting Pop's grave
with Meme and Jason's parents.
She talked about how nice the place was that she was in (she recently came to a rehab facility en route to a nursing home most likely).

She couldn't recall what she ate for lunch but figured she probably did eat something, and assumed it was good.

I listened to her sweet voice respond to our questions; her words were carefully spoken and very clear.

I watched her arms and legs move only after what I'm sure was a calculated decision whether or not to extend the effort.

She hugged us both a couple of times.

One time, she pulled me close, and in spite asking Jason if I was his wife for the second time just a moment earlier, she whispered in my ear, "I know I've met you before."

I just smiled :-)

Meme cheerfully and persistently engaged in the precious struggle to remember life's events.
January 19, 2015: Visiting with Meme in the rehab center.

I assume her mind must have been exhausted by all the knowing and yet not knowing fully.

During our visit, I briefly imagined what my life would be like if I were in her situation.  What if I was not able to remember things clearly? What if I could do very little and even that small amount required a lot of extra help?

At one point we talked about the warm sunshine pouring in Meme's rehab room window.

I anticipated her reply to be frustration with being stuck inside, or not being able to get out of her bed without an alarm going off, or something else that anyone would understand her being frustrated about.

Instead, she thought for a minute.

She smiled, nodded her head kind-of sideways in her unique way, and simply said:
"Every day is good."

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...