Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Grounded




Not counting two nights in a nearby city, I have been ‘grounded’ in Orlando for 45 consecutive days.  The last time I was in a place for 45 days was more than 2 years ago.  It was in South Asia, and that time only beat this time by about a week!  This is a history-making moment for me!  These are rarely charted waters!  The edge, the unknown- I love it!  Well, for the most part  :-)

So…how does it feel being in one place for so long?  I’ll be honest.  Forty-five days ago, when I landed at MCO (Orlando International Airport), I was thrilled about being somewhere for a month without any travel tickets in hand.  I had an excited contentedness about being ‘grounded’ for a period of time.  But, after about 2 weeks of being ‘home’ in Orlando, I went through travel withdrawal.  Something deep inside me began to feel lost without a travel itinerary in my back pocket.  The constant planes flying in the sky around me (since I live close to the airport), started to drive me crazy - I thought, ‘why am I not on that plane, why am I not going somewhere?!  What’s wrong?’

Slowly, this confusion has gradually subsided.  By God’s grace, I have arrived at a truly happy middle ground.  I can say right now that I love where I am in this moment, and yet I also look forward to travelling again with eager anticipation.

Now when I see airplanes in the sky, multiple times a day, I know that I will be on one again soon enough.  And until then, I can fully enjoy my time ‘on the ground.’

I’m realizing that God calls me to ‘time on the ground’ for different reasons, at different times.  The last 45 days on the ground have strengthened my faith in the One who has orchestrated my itinerary from the beginning of time.  I’ve had to practice patience while waiting on others.  I’ve had to persevere when things didn’t work out as I initially hoped.  I’ve had invest time preparing for the life He has called me to- which I can’t even fully know or understand now.

Needless to say, I know that this time on the ground is necessary to fully appreciate the height to which He is constantly leading me.


Psalm 139: 1-6
O Lord, you have examined my heart
and know everything about me.
You know when I sit down or stand up.
You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.
You see me when I travel
and when I rest at home.
You know everything I do.
You know what I am going to say
even before I say it, Lord.
You go before me and follow me.
You place your hand of blessing on my head.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too great for me to understand!

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...