Saturday, March 26, 2011

A highway with a mountain at the end...


Do you ever feel like you are standing on the highway of life, and you’ve come a point where the world around you is standing still and you have a few seconds to consider where you are, to look back on the road you’ve come from, and gaze down the road in front of you?

You’ve been on a journey for a while.
You lift your foot to take a step forward, but as you take another long glance down the unending road, you hesitate…

Wondering…

Asking questions…

Is this really the course I am to take?
Am I sure I didn’t take a wrong turn somewhere?
There is a huge mountain at the end of this road…will I have enough energy to climb it when I get there?
Do I dare set out on such an uncertain mission knowing that all odds are against me?

There aren’t any exists, or even rest-stops in the foreseeable future.
Once I start down this road, there is no going back.

Or is it really that serious?  That sounds so final, like such a commitment.
Surely, there’s always a way out, right?
I can change my mind half-way if really need to, right?

Um.  It is serious, it is a commitment, and no- you cannot change your mind half-way there.

I hear voices behind me helping me think through very real consequences of moving forward.
I see faces in front of me drawing my attention to lasting effects of staying where I am.
I hear my own heart pounding as it struggles in the middle.

I begin to ask deeper questions.
What is my motivation for staying where I am, or for moving forward?
What is my purpose, my passion, my aim, my goal, my reason for what I do, what I say, and who I am?

Are these the questions I should be asking?
Or should I ask:  What is God’s purpose, passion, aim, goal, and reason for my existence?
He created me.  Surely, He has a plan, passion and purpose for the Life He has given me.

Hmmm.

Here I am, in the middle of the highway, with my foot raised, ready to take a step forward.
But still hesitating…

just a few thoughts sparked by a conference I recently attended, some emails and conversations with friends, and my own curiosity of what lies ahead, and the dilemma of knowing that I will never really fully know what that is.  In this entry, I’m reflecting on a few different topics, which I have not mentioned explicitly.  I may blog more about a particular one at some point…We’ll see.  I may at least try to give more clarity to the confusing chaos here, as things become more refined in my own heart and mind…

1 comment:

jendo317 said...

This is good Elizabeth! I can relate more than I could ever begin to express. I guess I am thankful that God does know everything and He knows how it is all going to work out. I was reminded this week that God wants to reveal His plans to us. He isn't trying to hide things from us just to torment us; that isn't His character, but don't we act like it is? Thanks for sharing your heart.

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...