Sunday, February 5, 2012

A theme song...and overcoming indifference...

So... typically when I have free time in whatever country I'm in, I listen to music.  Especially when I'm alone.  I often find myself in a train, subway, taxi, or rickshaw riding across town, and listening to music on my ipod.  Somewhere in my travels, I usually find a song that catches my attention in a way that maybe it hasn't before.

Today, I had a few waking hours to myself - for the first time since being here.  I sat on the roof, enjoying the warmth of the sun, and listened to random songs.  One from Laura Story came on.  I listened to it several times, and feel like it's my 'theme song' for right now.  

I found myself reflecting...as I always seem to do that more when I'm in South Asia.  Or at least I'm forced to do it somehow.

Anyway, I listened to these words, and looked around.  I saw the trucks below carrying goods from city to city.  I saw the women on the roof hanging the clothes to dry.

I realized that this place where I am is real.  It is not just a random place that exists on the other side of the airplane door after flying 15 hours.  It is not just a world that is far far away.  It is very real, and very near.  It is a place full of people.  People coming and going.  People waiting and wondering.

People wanting to hear something they don't even know.

This is not a novel thought.  However, over the past few weeks, and maybe months, I regret that I have lost sight of some of this.  I'm not sure how or why, but I had grown a little bit indifferent to this place and the people here.

I started seeing what I do here just as a job.  It's just what I do.  It's just where I go.  That's it.  It's not a big deal.  Except for those who are close to me, most of you probably wouldn't have caught on to this casual attitude.  But I felt it creeping in.  Pretty strongly at times.

Yeah...I can be tired, and worn out at times.  But I should not get to the point of feeling detached, or unconcerned about what is happening here in this place.

Today, I listened to this song and was reminded:

He never grows indifferent to us.
He never lets us go - EVER.
His love is deep and wide...and deep and wide.
He has kept:  every. single. promise.
And I need His grace that 'sought my heart' to be the grace that 'binds my heart to stay.'

Where should I stay?  With God.  Always and forever.
'All I am and all I'll ever be is all because He loves me, faithfully.'

Reflecting on these lyrics encouraged my heart and mind today and helped me remember that the one constant and 'sure thing' in my life is God.

And if He has called me His own, then I cannot help but be and go and do as He leads.  And if I am His, then I cannot be indifferent to His work and His people.

Thank you, God for this song and for your faithfulness.


- basic lyrics and audio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JMrOec7bCk

FAITHFUL GOD - by LAURA STORY
May the grace that sought my heart on that first day
Be the grace that binds my heart to stay
May the truth that opened up my eyes on that first time
Be the thoughts on my mind that never go away

For You are a lamp to my feet
A light to my path
You're the hand that's holding me

Faithful God, every promise kept
Every need You've met, Faithful God
All I am and all I'll ever be
Is all because You love faithfully
Faithful God

May the love that caught my heart to set it free
Be the love that others see in me
And may this hope that's reaches to the depths of human need
Be the song that I sing in joy and suffering

For you are the love that never leaves
The friend that won't deceive
You're the one sure thing

Faithful God, every promise kept
Every need You've met, Faithful God
All I am and all I'll ever be
Is all because You love faithfully
Faithful God

How deep, how wide the love
That pierced His side, the love
Redemption's mine, O Love that will not let me go

How deep the love (How deep, how wide the love)
How deep the love (That pierced His side, the love)
Redemption's mine, O Love that will not let me go

How deep, how wide the love
That pierced His side, the love
Redemption's mine, O Love that will not let me go

Faithful God, every promise kept
Every need You've met, Faithful God
All I am and all I'll ever be
Is all because You love faithfully
Faithful God

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...