Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The need to know is dangerous...

Living life overseas, I was in a constant state of uncertainty and had minimal control over my circumstances and surroundings.
Now, I live in probably the most predicable, under-control country that exists.  Somehow I still crave defined lines, and have a deep desire to know things.

Here, there are sets of rules for pretty much everything.  Most of my days are fairly straightforward.  Sure, there are car accidents on the road & washing machines break sometimes.  Those things are out of my control and are frustrating.  But there are even systems in place for those things - alternate routes and traffic updates as well as appliance repair companies and laundromats if all else fails.

Why then, do I still want more control?  When then do I still have a need to know?

"You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman.  “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it."  ~ Genesis 3:4-5

I completely own the fact that, like Eve, the desire to know...dare I say, the camouflaged, sinful-nature driven, obsession to 'be God' overtakes me sometimes.  Instead of trusting the God who is in control, I think that if I can know something, then I can control it.

February 26 in Jesus Calling (by Sarah Young) says: "Your future looks uncertain and feels flimsy - even precarious.  That is how it should be.  Secret things belong to the Lord, and future things are secret things.  When you try to figure out the future, you are grasping at things that are Mine.  This, like all forms of worry, is an act of rebellion: doubting my promises to care for you."

"The secret things belong to the Lord, our God..." ~ Deuteronomy 29:29

2 comments:

Dave said...

I was reading in Matthew 9 this morning... About Jesus' healin of the paralytic. I am so grateful he alone had the power to forgive, that is an ultimate control that continues to amaze me! Especially when I see how unforgiving I can be myself. It is humbling to think even someone perfect still loves me even when I try so desperately to run from it sometimes.

Thanks for the post!! Great reading for the day!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for reading Dave!

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...