Friday, January 31, 2014

January Photo-a-day Project Debrief

After watching my friend Kristin take a photo-a-day for the past year(?) of her experiences in Ireland and after struggling to know how to creatively share the pictures I take, I decided to try a photo-a-day project for the month of January.

I've kept these photos stored in an album on facebook for now - but will work on finding a way to incorporate them into my blog too at some point!


Now that we've come to the end of January, I want to debrief my experiences a bit.

What did I learn?

1. Taking a photo-a-day forces me to look for things I might not otherwise notice

2. Looking for scenes or situations to capture for a photo-a-day can drive me crazy.  Trying to out-do myself from the day before, or find something never-before seen to post feels never-ending.  I have to remember, that my photo-a-day project is merely to capture moments of my life no matter how big or small they may appear to others.

2. Knowing I've committed to this photo-a-day thing, but at 11pm at night realizing I haven't posted a pic yet and freaking out about it!  Letting myself miss a day is ultimately good for taming my perfectionist personality!

3. Taking a photo-a-day forces me to be selective in the pictures to take.  Not that I can't TAKE more, but the goal is to post only one.  This forces me to try for a new angle, or new lighting or something that I haven't ever posted before.

4. Taking a photo-a-day captures moments that would otherwise be forgotten and keeps them organized.  This is perhaps my favorite reason to do a project like this.  Collecting these photos is like a photo-journal for the month that is kept into a "Jan photo-of-the-day" album.  I can go back at anytime and see what I was doing each day in January 2014 very easily.

5. Will I do the Photo-A-Day project again for February? Guess you'll just have to wait and see :-)


No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...