Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Putting peace and joy on my 'to-do' list!

So I've become convinced that getting everything done on my "to-do" list couldn't ever equal joy and peace in my life even if it wanted to, because my list is never done.

Like, really, it's just never-ending.  Especially right now.

Exactly 1 month away from a two+ month long trip that includes 4 states and eh, 2-3 countries.  A trip that involves 2 dogs (for part of it), a husband (for all of it- yay!), a family wedding, a family reunion, trains, planes, cars, rickshaws, other languages, other foods, being responsible for 8 other adults, hand-washing laundry, striving to maintain cultural customs in all of these contexts: family, in-laws, and South Asians, going back to a place where part of my heart is- but has since been reformatted.... 

Yeah.

There's A LOT to do to prepare for all that.  And then there's the stuff that can't be prepared for, even that stuff has to be prepared for.  Like, if this doesn't work out, then what?  Or, like, "these areas can't be planned, so what's your plan for that?"  Or, 'I forgot my passport,' or 'I'm sick,' or, 'We left someone on the train...' etc. There has to be a plan for all that unplanned stuff.

And there's the packing - for multiple climates (fortunately mostly all warm ones!), and the space - fitting it all in the car, and needing to be able to carry whatever we take up a train platform stairs.

Let's just say, it's been a good while since I've fit 5 weeks of stuff in a carry-on.

Not to mention - visas, passports, tickets....did everyone remember everything?

I want so much to enter into this next month in confidence.  In peace.  In the arms of my Heavenly Father who knew I would be right here right now before the world began.

I am realizing that my list actually won't ever be totally non-existent.  Not even after the trip.  There's the unpacking, and the cleaning the house, and the yard, and the returning to relationships that just stopped instantly for 2 months, and the neighbors....and then Thanksgiving and Christmas....okay, okay...I'll stop.

The list will always be there -- to guide, and help keep me focused, but not to rule, and not to keep peace and joy from me because it simply never ends.

I need to find a way to incorporate joy and peace into the mix of the things on my list.

Oh yeah, and breathing - that would be good too.

Thank you Lord for your Word and all it has to say about plans (lists)... thank you for reminding me that you are in control, and sovereign over all that gets done on my lists and all that doesn't get done!

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.
Isaiah 55:8

So thankful for the Lord - who has the most perfect and solid plans!

But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations. Psalm 33:11

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

All this also comes from the Lord Almighty,
whose plan is wonderful,
whose wisdom is magnificent.
Isaiah 28:29

The LORD Almighty has sworn, "Surely, as I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will stand. - Isaiah 14:24

O LORD, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done marvelous things, things planned long ago. Isaiah 25:1

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...