Thursday, August 7, 2014

This summer.

How do I sum up the past two months of the Summer?

Well, in terms of big events, here is a quick overview:
- my brother's wedding
- the first Watts Family reunion without Grandfather
- Jason's (my husband) first missions trip
- my first time leading a missions trip

In terms of feelings, here's a quick overview:
- thrilling
- challenging
- stretching
- strengthening
- mournful
- revealing
- frustrating
- unnerving
- joy-filled

Jason and I will drive to Florida tomorrow and when we get home, it will have been 63 days that we been away from our home.

In spite of my best efforts to journal throughout the summer, I think I only completed 3 pages in my notebook.  However, I did jot down notes here and there with a goal to go back and reflect on them more later.

Blogging typically helps me think more fluidly, so here we go.

As a part of processing the things we experienced this summer, I plan to write a series of blog posts devoted to the events and feelings of this summer.

Without further adieu, I'll start with the feelings and events of today.

This morning I woke up in a kinda down mood.

I realized that a 9 week long period of an incredibly busy schedule surrounded by family and others is about to end.

Almost every minute of the past 9 weeks has been spent with Jason, and we have shared almost all of those minutes with others along the way.

I woke up today anticipating the silence that will inevitably reverberate around me next week when we get back to normal life.  Of course, the introverted part of me can't wait for the time and space to be still and quiet for more than 15 minutes at a time.

But the other part of me that comes alive when I'm in another country or watching others learn about language and culture, wonders how I will maintain energy in the every day moments of life.

Honestly, I am a little bit nervous about my "re-entry" and "reverse culture shock" going back to 'normal life' after a whirlwind summer with some intense experiences.

I don't doubt that God will give me a rhythm through it, I'm really not afraid of it.  I'm just now seeing that while I've been preparing our short-term team for re-entry back into their own lives here, I may have neglected some to prepare myself too.

Well, that's all for now, I need to finish packing for our long road trip tomorrow.

(photo taken from: http://www.smallplanetstudio.com/products/rr/)
 

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...