Monday, January 5, 2015

Today's Joys: Intro

As one of my goals for 2015, I am starting a "Today's Joys" series of blog posts.  I hope to briefly share something that brings me joy every week.  I'm thinking this will be on Monday, since that's an overwhelming day as it's the start of the work week and it would be good to start with something joyful.

This first blog post in the series is more or less the intro and rational behind this idea.

I decided to write about this because I know I need to be intentional about finding the joy in life.

There are seasons which we all go where everyday just feels just like every other day, and there doesn't seem to be anything in particular to be joyful about.  The mundane, the ordinary.

The unloading the dishwasher again.  The repetition of meal-making.  And, I mean, can there really be joy in doing laundry?

Then there are seasons when certain days are actually wonderful, but we still aren't living fully in them.  We can easily see that our lives are incredibly blessed.

But there is a negativity and self-loathing that casts a grey spell over every spec of life.
It doesn't just discourage us, but also depresses everyone we come into contact with.

What makes it worse is that we honestly can't find a single thing to truly complain about, or that would warrant a downcast attitude.  So why then, at times, does it feel like the weight of the world is upon us?

There could be many reasons, but one thing I know for sure.

Life is a battle.
And if you aren't armed, you will lose every time.

If you are in Christ, your know that after death, you will be reunited with Him one day.


But we are not just called to die.
We are called to live.

And if we are not armed for life, we will lose.
It may be just a moment that is lost.
Or an hour, or a day, or a year or more.

I have lost a few moments recently.
Actually, I may have even lost a few days.

Moments and days I can't have back.

So.
I want to arm myself.

I want to be intentional about finding joy in the everyday moments of life.

The name for this set of blog posts actually came from a comment my mommy said to me a few months ago.  I was talking to her about taking pictures.  I love taking pictures.  I love doing things with pictures - photo books, calendars, new picture frames in the house... But I usually end up taking many more pictures than I ever have time to do anything with.

I was sharing with her how I was excited to take pictures of the wildlife in our small town, but I was frustrated because I knew I wasn't going to do anything with them.  I went on to talk about all the pictures I had, and how I don't always get to do something with them and how sad it is.

She said, "Well, maybe the purpose of the pictures you are taking right now are for today's joys."

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...