Saturday, July 23, 2016

Jefferson's America - Book Review

BOOK REVIEW


Jefferson's America, The President, the Purchase, and the Explorers who Transformed a Nation by Julia M. Fenster is an in depth look at the characters involved in the time period of Jefferson's presidency and the events that took place during that time.


I appreciated the breadth of historical events and people that Julia brings to life in her book. However, in order to present a wide array of characters, it means that there is not time to get to know any of them very well.  I was expecting a book more specifically focused on Jefferson's life, but this book gave a much broader view of the circumstances surrounding his life.


The book is very much about the exploration that took place during Jefferson's lifetime.  I would recommend it to someone who already has a foundational knowledge of this historical era, as it was a challenge for someone who is not as familiar with it.  I would also recommend this book to someone who appreciates seeing the bigger picture of what's going on rather than focusing just on one part.


I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...