Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Flowers, Books and Booties

(Note: For those who follow this blog, I know this is my first update in a while. The most recent thing that has happened in our lives is that we lost our little girl, Promise, - born at 22 weeks gestation. Thus, there may be a few posts connected to that event, including this one. I am writing a bit more about it on another blog - if you are interested in that one, let me know)

A week or so ago, I threw away the first of the flowers that people had sent for Promise’s funeral. I knew that time would eventually come.
IMG_1469

IMG_1468


But it was good. I reflected again on the service and Promise’s life - which is, of course, pretty much what I do all day right now anyway.
IMG_1470


IMG_1471

The flowers were not just tangible reminders of Promise and of beauty in the midst of pain, but also of the family and friends who love us deeply and care for us so well.


IMG_1472


IMG_1466



A few hours after I threw some of the flowers away, Jason brought in two packages from the mail.

The timing of these packages arriving the same day I was starting to throw the flowers away was not just a random happening.

I see it as God's reminder to me He always and continually provides ways for us to know His love and care for us.

One package was from an aunt.  The other was from a high school friend who I haven’t seen in probably 15 years.

My aunt sent two books.

IMG_0073

How had my aunt known that earlier that day I would be searching for some kind of devotional book to read exactly like this one: "Grieving the Child I Never Knew?"  Actually, I had even saved this particular book to possibly order later. Now I didn’t have to, and I didn’t even need to look up any more, I could simply start with this one. Thank you.

And how did she know that this book “Mommy, Please don’t cry - there are no Tears in Heaven” would bring the most joyful of tears I may have ever cried.

To think of Promise in Heaven, and to imagine what she might want to tell me in this moment is so painfully wonderful. Oh! It is so good and this book takes me right there. Thank you.

My high school friend sent a pair of teeny tiny carefully crocheted white booties, with a note. A woman in her community makes these for families who have lost their babies.

IMG_0074

IMG_0075

They were amazingly perfect just on their own.

But then I put them next to Promise’s actual footprint we have from the hospital, and was blown away by the fact that actually, they would have fit her little feet.

IMG_0078

IMG_0081



Is God not this exact in his measurements of love and grace for us?

He cares for us beyond what we know…and then…sometimes like in this moment, we do know. Or at least have a little bit of a taste of it.

And, it is oh, so good. Thank you Lord.

I must add another BIG thank you here to those who have sent emails, facebook messages, texts, cards, gifts, meals and to those who have prayed. I know that this road would be much harder without the support of those around us, and of those far away! You mean so much to us.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

May God continue to increase your faith as He walks with you through the pain of losing dear Promise!

Lisa T said...

I love the way God is showing his kindness 8n these small provisions. The booties are precious and how amazing that Promise's little feet would fit them!

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...