Monday, March 4, 2019

Morning Stories with Lily

Normally I use the time that Lily is eating her breakfast to clean up the dishes, get her lunch ready, and a variety of other tasks that need to be done. Recently, I recalled how my mother used to use breakfast time to teach us Bible stories. This was something she did with all of us (4 kids) at the table, even though there was a 12 year span between myself and my youngest sister.

Even after I ‘graduated’ from the breakfast table Devotions, and had my own quiet time, I remember listening to her talk about God and the Bible with my brother and sisters as they ate their breakfast. And usually, the Bible learning time would extend beyond just the normal time it took to eat.

My mother may not have known it, but she was setting an example of starting the day with the most important thing – the Word of God. She did not worry about the dishes, she did not jump into other academic subjects (since she taught us at home). She started the morning with the most important task that God gave her to do as a mother: teach her children about Him.

And I know she got this model from her own mother, my Grandmother Watts. My mommy tells about coming into the kitchen and seeing her mother in her big red chair with her cup of coffee and her Bible. Her mother prioritized her time reading God’s Word, and she passed that on to her children. The image and the action of my Grandmother was etched in my mother’s heart, and now it’s an example for me too.
 
I’m hoping to begin a little journey with my own daughter, Lily. A journey of reading God’s Word (or a form of a Bible story) at the breakfast table. Lily is 22 months old, so, it may be short and basic. But hopefully foundational.

And, as most things in the littlest years, they aren’t as much for the child as they are for the parent J So I’m hoping to re-ignite my own desire for God’s Word through teaching it to Lily!

I am hoping to record this journey through “Facebook LIVE” videos. I am doing this primarily because I love photos/video and documenting all the moments that make up our lives. The reason to do it via FB Live is primarily to eliminate the time and stress it takes to edit it, or make it "perfect" before archiving it or posting it.  I have never done a LIVE video like this before, so I’m a little nervous. Anything can happen with a toddler!

I'm also doing it via FB Live in case it might be of any encouragement to other parents out there looking for some way to incorporate Bible reading into their toddler's life! Of course, let's see how cooperative Lily is before we decide if it is successful or not!

To get the FB live jitters out, last week, I recorded the first few days just to see what it might look like :)  I'll post those pre-recorded videos starting tomorrow and the next few days.  Eventually, I’ll do a LIVE one, and see how that goes J

One other note: I am not committing to do this every day. I am not committing to always do it at the same time every day, though Lily usually wakes up between 7:00-8:00am J I am also not committing to finish the book. Those are all goals I’d love to put out there, but this is a test and I don't know how it will go. I am trusting the Lord to lead us, and take it where He wants it. For Lily’s and my benefit and for His glory.

Thanks for journeying with me, and with Lily, as we study the Bible together!

The text we will use is: The Big Picture Story Bible by David Helm.

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...