Saturday, May 2, 2009

16 mosquito bites, and a Fitted Sheet

After the third flight, I got into the jeep to take the 4-5 hour ride to Pan Town. It’s funny, the jeep was actually the ambulance of the organization I’m working with here. The reason they brought the ambulance was because of the election rallies that are happening right now. The election parties can demand the use of any vehicle they want for however long they want to use it. However, they can’t demand the ambulance, so they sent that vehicle to pick me up from the airport! We did go through several rallies- see pictures.

Of course, since I still didn’t exactly want to return to life in Pan Town, I tried to prepare myself for the worst. I told myself, it’s going to be really, really hot. And probably there won’t be any water. And probably my room will be dusty. I figured that was enough. And to no surprise, my expectations were met. Right now, there is sweat dripping down my back. And I just took a cold shower about ½ hour ago. Seems I might need another one before bed. There was no water when I got here, and I was told that drinking water was also scarce. And my room was filled with dust, spider webs and spiders, and termite dust all over- in spite of the “Terminator” liquid I had applied before I left! On top of that, I woke up this morning with at least 16 mosquito bites on one foot.

Welcome “Home.”

To my surprise, I wasn’t much bothered by all of it. In many ways, it was like I was on auto-pilot, just going through things. But I think at that point in time, it was a good thing to just go through it, and not think about it too much!

Helen, and I cleaned the room and the water eventually came later that evening. It’s still really hot, of course. But I’m dealing with it. Of course, the best thing I had to look forward to when I got back was blowing up my air mattress, and putting on the fitted sheet my aunt brought me from home! And I have to say that fitted sheet has been a source of joy the past two days!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth... you are truly amazing... God is amazing THROUGH you!! The things we take for granted like fitted sheets and no 'squitos. Thinking of you and praying for a miraculous amount of work to be done BEFORE June! Love you so much and CAN'T wait to see you and give you a big hug!!!

Anonymous said...

oops! that was from Jillie. :)

Elizabeth said...

Love you and miss you Jillie!!

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...