Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Workers are Few…and yet, The Best Moment God could give me is…right now.

(Facebook friends, see this in bigger print on my blog- www.elizabethstories.blogspot.com)
I remember several months ago, Sam came to me and expressed how there were expectations being put on him that weren’t “agreed” upon earlier. He was being asked to do more than he had said yes to. I reviewed his ‘job description’ and explained how actually things hadn’t changed much, but perhaps the volume of work had increased.

I explained to him that most, if not all jobs in life had bits and pieces attached to them that we didn’t sign up for. I explained just a few of those bits and pieces in my own job that I hadn’t signed up for. He started to calm down and saw pretty quick how the little bit he was complaining about wasn’t that bad!!!

As I’ve worked in this project, I have come to realize one very real truth. The workers are few. As time has gone on, my responsibilities have multiplied beyond 2-3 full time jobs. And each time a new responsibility comes upon me, I think, ‘if only there was a whole other person to do this part of my job…it seriously would entail a full time job!’

And yet…my guess is, with another 2 or 3 more people, the work would yet increase again. It is not a matter of the number of people, or the number of hours you put in (even 10-12 hour days can’t keep up!). It is the amount of faith by which you serve your God and the amount of grace He chooses to extend!

It’s also the attitude by which I serve. If I constantly dwell on how difficult my job is, then it will definitely be difficult. If I constantly think about how hot I am with sweat dripping down my back, I will definitely be hot. (Although I’ve tried thinking about being in a blizzard, and somehow I still feel hot!).

Anyway, you know, it’s probably good that I didn’t know all that I was signing up for when I said ‘yes’ to this job. Had I known all that the past months were to entail, I really don’t know that I would have come. But, think of all that I would have missed!

The number one thing has been the never-ending lesson of faith and what it means to trust Him. This is a daily requirement for my life here, much more than I’ve experienced anywhere else. It’s something that scares me a little bit, because often God has used a set of experiences to prepare me for something more challenging yet to come. With the amount of faith that has been required of living life here, I’m a little nervous to think that any other circumstances could demand more. And yet, I know there are plenty of other circumstances that could demand more. At the same time, I know that He doesn’t give us more than we can handle in a certain moment.

I will take joy in this moment He has given me, knowing that it’s the best moment he could give me (a quote from my friend Kristin!).

I just read these verses in my chronological bible reading for this week….

Though the cherry trees don’t blossom
And the strawberries don’t ripen
Though the apples are worm-eaten
And the wheat fields stunted,
Though the sheep pens are sheepless
And the cattle barns empty,
I am singing joyful praise to God.
I am turning cartwheels of joy to my Savior God
Counting on God’s Rule to prevail,
I take heart and gain strength
I run like a deer.
I feel like I’m king of the mountain!
(Habakkuk 3:17-19- Message Version)

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...