Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Bina

(For facebook friends, see this and a picture on my blog- www.elizabethstoriesblogspot.com)

A few days ago, I was a part of one of the saddest moments of my life. It really wasn’t a huge deal, but it gave me a first-hand experience into the life of both the children that live at the girl’s hostel where I live, and the lives of their parents. Some of these girls are orphans, and others may have one parent, or may even have both parents, but their parents are too poor to care for them. There are a few who are children of Workers in the field who cannot provide a good education for their children.

One of those Worker is “Samson,” a member of the Blizzard team. He is here in Pan Town right now doing his final story recordings! This week, his daughter, Bina, was accepted to the hostel/school here. She is so tiny, and so beautiful. (Picture, "Samson" and Bina)

Like all new girls, she cried, screamed, and kicked when her father left her. I’ve seen it a few times, and have almost cried myself. It’s so hard to watch, even though I know it’s good for the girls to be here and after a short time, most of them do settle in.

Anyway, two days ago, I was sitting with some of the women and girls on the grass in front near the hostel watching several other girls bring Bina back after she tried to escape to the front gate to call for her papa. She was kicking and crying. As she was brought back, I reached out my hand, and although fighting, she collapsed next to me on the grass. For the next 20 minutes, although struggling a bit and still crying, I held her and tried to quiet her down. And eventually, she did settle down.

I would have thought that my interference in keeping her from her Papa would have made her dislike me. However, somehow, it has sparked a friendship between us. The past few days, she has come to my room and just sat and watched me do whatever for a few hours in morning before I leave and a few hours at night when I come back.

Before I took her downstairs to her room last night she said, “I will sleep here tonight, with you” (In ‘Blizzard’ language of course, but it’s similar enough to the national language that I could understand). Then she said, “I will stay here with you. I will live with you.”

When I looked at her this morning, I wondered if I would know what her life is like 10 or 20 years from now. I wonder if she too will serve our Father as her own father is doing, among the “Blizzard” people.

Pray for little Bina as she settles in, and begins a new life here in Pan Town at the hostel.

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...