Friday, July 10, 2009

"Teach me Hindi"

This morning Bina came to my room and said in her “Blizzard language”,
“Teach me Hindi. I don’t know Hindi, you teach me.”

This is not the first time one of the girls has asked me to teach them Hindi. Most of these girls come from rural areas and do not speak Hindi- the national language at home. So when they get here, they feel a bit lost. They learn the language very quickly, of course, by playing with the other girls. But initially, it’s hard to understand what’s going on.

Of course, the funniest thing is that they ask ME to teach them. I think I just now realized why they ask me. While they may not fully understand everyone else around them, they usually can understand when I talk to them, because my language is about the level of a 2 year old, pretty basic, and understandable!!

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...