Thursday, April 1, 2010

Email Update - Life and Work in Orlando

Facebook friends - find this update and a few other recent posts from devotionals that have been particularly encouragement to me recently, on my blog: www.elizabethstories.blogspot.com )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends and Family!! :)

“Open your mouth and taste, open your eyes and see how good God is.  Blessed are you who run to him.”  ~ Psalm 34:8

Short Version
1-Running Water and Electricity All the Time! - Move to Orlando!
2-Can you meet me again tomorrow?  - ESL contacts in the community
3-P&P

Long Version

1-Running Water and Electricity All the time!!
At the end of February I moved to Orlando, Florida!  I have enjoyed transitioning to life here, looking for a Fellowship to call home, reconnecting with friends, and exploring possibilities for ESL stories.  I realized that Orlando is in an ‘overseas’ category in my mind since I am not in my hometown, and have only ever known my hometown and overseas!

I have been delighted to find so many people speaking English here and I’ve enjoyed endless electricity, running water, and internet!  Believe it or not, the home I’m living in (along with 4 other girls) was struck by lightning last week and fried the internet modem!  However, overall, I feel completely blessed by our Father to live in a great location for connecting with my company’s Headquarters, engaging with ESL opportunities, and continuing to do consultant work for story projects in South Asia.  [PICTURE – My roommates!]

2-Can you meet me again tomorrow?
A week or so after arriving in Orlando, a friend of mine and I went to the ‘international’ area of Orlando.  The first Asian market we went into had several Asians, but all were fairly busy with their work.  The second one we went in was decorated with religious artifacts and is the largest Asian food store I’ve ever been in.  We saw a man on the phone and waited until he finished talking.  Then we asked him if he knew of English classes in the area or of people who might be interested in learning English.  He paused for a few minutes and then said, ‘My wife.’  One thing led to another, and I met with this Vietnamese shopkeeper’s wife (“Kathy”) yesterday at a local library.  Her English is at a basic conversation level, but she really wants to learn more.  Before I left, she asked if I could meet her again tomorrow!  I asked her if I could bring some of my work (the ‘Book’ stories) and maybe she could help me.  She said yes!  In addition, we also met a Mexican couple travelling through Orlando and helped them find their hotel, and initiated contact with a Burmese restaurant worker.  I hope to follow up on some of these contacts, as well as meet a local Fellowship group I contacted, who wants to incorporate ESL stories from the Book into their ministry.

3-P&P
-Praise for a safe trip to Orlando and a smooth transition.
-Praise for good initial contacts in the community
-Prayer for Kathy and others who I may be able to work on ESL stories with.
-Prayer for continued friendships in my new home, Orlando.
-Prayer for a training I will be attending in South Asia to consult with story teams  (end of April)

Until All Have Heard,

~ Elizabeth

NOTE: I have been using some code words in my updates, if you are unsure what any words mean, let me know.
NOTE: If you would like to be removed from this list, please reply and put ‘remove’ in the email.


No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...