Saturday, May 1, 2010

Safe Shoes

What is it about shoes – any kind of shoes (flip flips included) that make you feel safe at times

 When I have experienced bugs or mice around me, as I did last night, somehow having shoes on makes me feel much safer.  In the past, I have worn one set of flip flops, and used another single flip flop to attack my intruder – if I have indeed mustered enough courage to take that step of action.  Last night, however, was a huge dilemma for me.  You see, I only brought one pair of flip flops on this trip.  The mouse I encountered was in the dining hall area and ran under our table at dinner and then around the room a few times.

But it wasn’t for the mouse that I was considering using my flip flop as a weapon.  It was later, in my room, in the bathroom that I found company with a large cockroach.  Not the first cockroach I’ve encountered, but still, I wouldn’t consider myself an expert on living with such animals.  I watched it for a while, as I typically do when faced with these uncertain situations.  I analyzed the direction and pattern of movement.  I then took one flip flop off my foot to try and squash it because I feared I wouldn’t sleep well knowing it was crawling around near to me.

However, as soon as I removed my flip flop, I felt all of the sudden more afraid of the little bug.  It was like my foot was un-shielded, un-armored, un-protected, and very vulnerable.  As if the skinny straps on my flip flop would actually have guarded me from anything.  But still.  So, there I was.  I had a weapon to attack (the flip flop I had taken off my foot), but I had no covering at all, at least for my right foot.

After much consideration of what to do, I finally remembered that in my past experience, these creatures do amazingly disappear when morning comes, and if I could convince myself that it would not crawl into bed with me in the middle of the night, than perhaps I could possibly fall asleep even if it was still alive and wandering around.  So, that is what I did.  Of course, waking in the middle of the night to use the bathroom was an adventure, but…at least I had my feet covered :)

And, sure enough…this morning?  No cockroach in sight.  Amazing what a little light can do.

And yet, I know that once a cockroach has appeared -- even if it disappears in the morning -- unless or until it has been destroyed, it will return.  So…as I consult with story teams today, in the back of my mind will be the knowledge that when the sun goes down, it will only be a short time before the cockroach returns.  At which time- the question will be - will I succeed once again at convincing myself  to ‘live and let live’ – or will my flip flop transform from its role as a piece of armor, to become a piece of weaponry? 

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...