Sunday, February 28, 2016

Stand firm and you will win life #Whole30

16 days into my WHOLE30 experiment.

How's it going so far?

Week 1 was mostly easy.  I was motivated, excited, prepared.  I'm not sure how to describe it, but I felt like my body was really only full of stuff that was supposed to be there and junk stuff was minimal.  I felt clean and overall well.

Week 2 was HARD.  My mood was down, my stomach was starving most of the day and at night.  All I could think about was food.  I made good meals with fat and protein, but was still hungry.  Plus my digestive system seemed very messed up.  And I was tired most of the time too.

I felt very off balance and very frustrated.

Honestly, I nearly quit the whole thing.  

On Saturday, I was feeling sick in my stomach, so I indulged in a bowl of Trader Joe's creamy tomato soup.  It actually settled my stomach, and gave me great delight to have my system back on track so quickly.

But of course mentally, I feel like I have to start the WHOLE30 all over again because I slipped and ate something non-compliant!

Thankfully, every day is a new day.

While I'm still counting myself as in the middle of my first round of WHOLE30, I know I have made some mistakes along the way.

Still, I have denied myself a great many things and made more new healthy food in the past two weeks than in the past year.

I consider that a success and reason to continue.

In thinking about pressing on, I came across this verse:

"Stand firm, and you will win life." -- Luke 21:19

The context for this is right in the middle of a talk that Jesus is giving his disciples on the end times.

He is warning them of the insults and persecution that will come because they are His followers.

Later he says, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away."

I think Jesus wants his followers to know that in His strength, they can stand firm.
In His strength, they can persevere in the midst of the failing world around them.

But because Jesus knows they will not be able to stand firm or persevere perfectly, He has promised them His Word.

When they do struggle, when they do feel overwhelmed, when they do want to give up, His Word is something that will never fail them.

It will remain forever.

In terms of my WHOLE30 journey, I want to stand firm on the science and the health gurus out there, but I do not want to put my faith in them!

I want to put my faith in God's Word - the only thing which will remain forever, regardless of how healthy I might be!

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...