Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Remembering...and Egg McEno Muffins!

In thinking about pressing into Week 3 of Whole30, I want to look back and celebrate some of the delicious victories that have filled my stomach!

But before I do, I want to share a little of what I think the Bible has to say about looking back and moving forward.

I actually found very few verses about learning form the past, and looking back.  In fact, I found the opposite:

But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead... - Philippians 3:13

Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.” - Luke 9:62

“Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.- Isaiah 43:18-19

The list goes on.

I realized that God is a forward thinking God.  He loves to bring us new mercies every morning.  He gave us a 24 hour day because an hour longer might crush us -- we need new starts, fresh beginnings quite regularly.  He doesn't want us to look back.  He wants us to move forward.

He is most certainly the God of the past and the present, but He is also God of the future.  He wants us to receive his mercy and grace and move confidently in His strength into the day that is before us.

While thankful for the past He has brought us through, He has work for us still to do, and wants us to follow Him into it.

Still, I know that the word "Remember" exists many times in the Bible, so I did a search to see what exactly we are supposed to remember.

This is what I found:

"But you shall remember the LORD your God, for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth, that He may confirm His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day. - Deuteronomy 8:18

Remember His covenant forever, The word which He commanded to a thousand generations... - 1 Chronicles 15:13

When the bow is in the cloud, then I will look upon it, to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth." - Genesis 9:15

Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead... - 2 Timothy 2:8

Then God remembered Rachel, and He gave heed and opened her womb. - Genesis 30:22

It appears all of the remembering in the Bible is either a charge to us to remember the Lord and his covenant, or is God himself remembering something.

I fully understand the command for us to remember the Lord and his covenant - this very reflection is what gets me through challenging times!

But what does it mean for God to remember something?  It's not like God ever forgets anything, so why is this?

From reading a bit of an article on Ligonier's website, about the verse, "God remembered Noah...," The phrase, "God remembered" means that what He has promised long ago, He is going to act on.

God's "remembering" represents the very action of God about to play itself out.

I want to remember the Lord and the strength He has given me to be creative, frugal and determined over the past 2 weeks as I've wrestled with this Whole30 diet.

And in sharing it, my hope is that you will see the Lord at work in it!

So...here's a bit of what we've been eating lately.

#1: C5  (aka: Curried Chicken, Cauliflower and Carrots in Coconut Milk)
This was the first time ever using coconut milk.  How have I missed making food with this before!?

Cauliflower and carrots and chicken.  I think that was it! 

#2: Chili for forever!
I decided to make a big batch of Chili to freeze so we could have it on hand.  I told Jason I was making Chili to last forever.  Funny how it never does last that long.

It is not grass-fed, or organic...but it is 93% lean, on sale at Aldi's.
Peppers, onions, celery...Colorful things make me smile!

Onions, Celery, Carrots
Onion celery, carrots, red/yellow/green pepper
Glorious spices!
Add it all together and what have you got!  The bulk of what will eventually be chili!

 #4: Spaghetti Squash Seedies
We had round 2 of spaghetti squash and around that time, I had the munchies like you don't even know.  I thought, these seeds look pretty good....so, looked up a recipe, and before you know, the were toasted, and salted and in my mouth.  YUM.  Messy to get out of the spaghetti...but very rewarding!


#5: Jason's Steak
By the time Saturday came, I decided I couldn't cook another meal.  Jason volunteered.  Love that man!  Steak on the grill, asparagus on the grill, and sweet potato slices in the oven.  I could eat this every night.


#6: Egg McEno Muffin
Saw this idea and tried it...It worked brilliantly, except I did cook them a little too long. They were still edible, and nice to heat up quickly in the morning.  But the muffin pan took 3 rounds of soaking the clean it.  #needmuffinliners 


No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...