Sunday, January 1, 2017

2017 Goals!

It's that time of year.  The beginning!  The time to plan! #besttimeofyear #goals #plans

I'm more of a planner than my husband Jason, but both of us usually begin thinking about goals for the upcoming year around our wedding anniversary which is November 22.  We have a month or so to reflect on our goals from the past year and consider what goals we might want to have for the coming year.

I can't recall exactly what sparked this idea a few years ago, but I am thankful for it.  I think it was a combination of a Dave Ramsey podcast along with the concept of "we never drift toward good things/holiness" that motivated me to be more pro-active in writing out goals.

Looking back on my Goals for 2016 and Goals for 2015, there are definitely ones that I barely touched, and other ones that I very much succeeded at.

However, in my opinion, the goal of having goals is not so much to accomplish everything perfectly, although that would be ideal.  Setting goals and attempting to reach them helps me prioritize my time and energy in the specific ways I feel that God wants me to glorify him.

It's not an exhaustive list.  And it's not a list that is set in stone.  There may be unexpected things that come up that require our goals to be altered in some way - that's okay.  But in general, when things are hard and I feel like giving up, having a list of goals reminds me what my priorities are and what things in life I want to move towards.

Plus I simply love planning stuff, so making goals is extremely life-giving for me! :-)

And I will say Jason and I have gotten better at making goals over the years.  We try to have realistic expectations.  And now we think about goals for specific categories.  We also attempt to have some goals be measurable so we can see actual progress.


So, without further adieu, here are my goals for this next year.  Oh, and if you visit our home, you'll see both my goals and Jason's posted on our refrigerator.  This helps us hold each other accountable and remember what it was we said we wanted to do!

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans"- Proverbs 16:3

Elizabeth’s goals for 2017

Family-
1. Marriage:  Give affirmation instead of judgement
2. Kids: Have a baby :-) Do exercises and eat well in preparing for labor!

Social- 
3. Invest in close friends
4. Game night every quarter (4x/year!).

Financial-
5. Do budget every month
6. Look for other streams of income (online)

Career-
7. Write out all tasks on Mon for the week
8.Email or call 2 partners/month to check in
9. Visit all supporting churches this summer!

Spiritual-
10. Read through Bible using weekday plan with Jason (morning)
11. Daily prayer time with Jason (evening)
12. Lead T2Dgroup/women ministry at church

Physical 
13. Walk or Exercise 5x/week.
14. Develop Eno Eating Plan.
15. Beach 1x/month (Emotional health!)

Intellectual 
16. Write 1 blog entry/week
17. Read Surprised by Joy with Jason
18. Read for 5+ minutes before sleeping
19. No social media in the morning!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. ~ Proverbs 3:5-6

1 comment:

Jon and Laurie said...

love your goals. Blessings to you and Jason as you bring into this world a new life.

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...