Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The famous Spaghetti Squash! (Whole30 - Day 4)

Breakfast was eggs, scrambled, with spinach.  No big deal.

Lunch was spinach salad with strawberries and walnuts, and a homemade strawberry vinaigrette.  Probably will become a staple for my lunches.

But Dinner was... definitely a TEAM EFFORT!

Yesterday, I attempted to cut into a spaghetti squash.

Have you ever done this?

It is HARD.  The thing is like a rock.  I was shocked.

A friend of mine had told me, "It's hard to cut into."  She made this comment a couple of times.  I didn't take her seriously and thought to myself, "Does she think I'm weak or something?"

Well.  Now I know.

In desperation, I posted this picture on facebook.
Jason later told me it looks like a horror movie cover!

I was blown away by the comments by all of you!  21 comments by some healthy people not only told me exactly what to do, but also encouraged me on this healthy-whole30-food journey.  What fun to read the comments and hear your stories!

So, without further adieu, here are your comments on the Spaghetti Squash!

Scroll down to see how it came out after I made it!!!  Spoiler alert: it was perfect!







So, I ended up utilizing the microwave + strong husband strategy, and voila!

It opened.

Truth be told, Jason is my hero every day, but on this day especially, he couldn't have impressed me any more.

Once I had the spaghetti squash opened, I coated it in olive oil, put it in the oven face-up, and set the timer for 50 minutes (on 375)

Then I had to figure out what we were going to eat with it.  I knew I had a lot to choose from in the fridge.

So I looked up a few recipes, and literally decided to combine them all together :-)

I cut up red and yellow peppers, sugar snap peas, onions, and threw them in a skilled with some garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.


Then I cut up some grape tomatoes, kale, and left-over basil from the salmon dish we had earlier in the week. I threw all that in. Lastly, I put in some of the chicken pieces we had left over from the chicken we had on Sunday.

I don't know if this is normal or not, but I also used a tad bit of chicken broth in the skillet to help it stay moist.

I'm kind-of proud of this because it was homemade chicken broth from the chicken we had on Sunday and the first chicken broth I've ever made.

That really deserves it's own blog post, but there's not time for that now.

After the timer went off, I took the squash out, and with a forked, pulled all the "meat" out of it - it literally came out like strings of spaghetti.

SO. COOL.

LEFT: full.        RIGHT: empty.
I then put the veggie-chicken mix over top of the spaghetti squash, and added a little more salt and pepper.


And that was it!

And it was GOOD.

No comments:

What have you done with this quarantine time?

I’ll be blunt. This question has kind of driven me nuts the past few weeks. To be honest, we have done what we have always done. Worked ...